
I love Edinburgh Castle! Wanna know why? Here's 3 reasons.
1. It's located on a volcanic rock. Don't worry. It's intact now. It has always afforded the ultimate safe and defensive position in Edinburgh.
2. Esplanade. At the top of the Royal Mile, in front of the castle, is a long sloping forecourt known as the Esplanade. It is upon this Esplanade that the famous Edinburgh Military Tattoo takes place annually. From the Esplanade may be seen the Half Moon Battery, which is a dominant feature visible in Nasmyth's painting.
3. Edinburgh's fortress as a centre of military activity.
As an ancient fortress Edinburgh Castle is one of the few that still has a military garrison, albeit for ceremonial purposes. Nevertheless, the Castle continues to have a strong connection with the Army. Sentries still stand watch at the castle gatehouse between 6pm and 9am, with responsibility for guarding the Honours of Scotland.
1 comment:
Hi, I am posting a comment below from my student, Kaylee, who is also in the blogging challenge. She doesn't have any of the profiles that are listed below, so I said I would post this comment for her. Is there any way you could learn how to add Name/URL or Anonymous to the accepted profiles? You will probably get more comments from others in the blogging challenge. Thanks! From Mrs. Krebs
Hi Ivan,
That castle looks really cool. Have you ever seen one in real life? Is that an actual castle that is near you?
Kaylee
Post a Comment