Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Re:Shall we go to Ben Nevis?


Ben Nevis is about 4,406 ft high. Fort William is not that far from Ben Nevis. We can stay in Achintee Farm Guest House. It's beside the river in Glen Nevis, at the start of the Ben Nevis footpath.

I would personally like to stay in a twin room. I would take a look at the map of Ben Nevis. I usually don't watch television when I travel. The wi-fi access is pretty good here.

We shall go there but I'm not sure if we have mountain skiing. I think it's pretty hard to ski. And it takes too much time to learn to ski. We can go for a walk there.

I like walking because it's good & healthy to walk. You don't need any equipment. You simply buy a pair of walking boots, and you can go for a walk.

Basic essential items of clothing and equipment for summer and winter in the Scottish hills.

In addition it is important to have navigational skills.

In winter, ice axe & crampon skills and knowledge of snow conditions and avalanches are also needed.

Summer hillwalking
Rucksack - about 35 litres (45 litres for winter)
Boots (with ankle support and soles which will grip on rock, grass and mud)
Waterproof jacket (with hood)
Waterproof overtrousers
General trekking trousers (not jeans)
Thermal top
Fleece top
Gaiters (not always essential)
Warm hat
Gloves or mitts
Spare layer e.g. fleece top
Compass
Map (waterproof or in waterproof case)
Watch
Torch (preferably a headtorch)
Food & Drink
Emergency survival bag (polythene is OK)
Whistle
First Aid Kit (small)
Mobile phone (not essential but if you have one then take it)

In sunny weather
Sunhat
Sun cream
Sunglasses

In the midge season
Midge repellant
Midge net

Winter (in addition to the above)
Warm trousers or thermal longjohns
Boots for winter need to be stiff soled
Ice axe
Crampons
Spare gloves or mitts
Goggles

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ivan,
I'm a teacher from the United States and my students are members of the 10 week challenge. I came across your blog and have some questions for you:
1. What is a midge? (I think it is a mosquito)
2. What are gaiters (I think they're boots)
3. Why did you tour the British Isles?
From your photo Ben Nevis looks beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Ben Nevis would be a wonderful place to go too. I have a question though, what is it like in russia and also why did you tour the british isles?

Ivan said...

1. The midge is an insect
2. The gaiters are boots, just what you have thought.
3. I tour the British Isles because I think there are lots of beautiful places & landmarks.

Ivan said...

In Russia, there are 3 territories, the Far East, Sibir (forgive me if I spelled it wrong) and the European territory of Russia. For me, it's by far, the biggest country in the world along with Canada & a few others. You can find a lot of landmarks & places. It can actually take weeks or even months to explore it all! There are tons of forests in Russia. That all I can say about it.
I tour the British Isles because I do think there are lots of beautiful & amazing places & landmarks!